USA
Trending

Chicago mayor to sign executive order directing city to resist Trump’s immigration raids

Brandon Johnson’s order directs city police not to collaborate with federal agents in immigration enforcement

Advertisement

Chicago Mayor Signs Executive Order Ordering City to Resist Trump’s Immigration Raids
Brandon Johnson’s Executive Order Directs City Police Not to Cooperate with Federal Agents in Immigration Enforcement.

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson reportedly plans to sign an executive order Saturday outlining how the city plans to resist Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

CNN reported that Johnson will issue directives to the city and law enforcement “in the face of escalating threats from the federal government.”

Advertisement

Last week, the White House requested the establishment of a US military base outside Chicago to support immigration operations, as the Trump administration plans to expand its control over Democratic-led “sanctuary cities.”

CNN reported that Johnson’s executive order “affirms” that Chicago police will “not cooperate with federal agents in joint patrols, arrests, or other law enforcement missions, including civilian immigration enforcement.”

It also stipulates that municipalities must “use all available legal and legislative means to resist coordinated federal efforts.”

Advertisement

On Thursday, Tom Homan, the administration’s border official, said that Chicago, like several other cities, would soon be the target of an anti-immigration campaign.

“Operations are increasing all over the country,” Homan said. “But we’re seeing an intensification of all operations in Chicago, that’s for sure.”

During an interview on Fox News, Homan was asked if he had a message for Johnson. “Stand aside,” Homan replied. “We will stand aside.” »

Advertisement

NBC News reported that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the Border Patrol, and other agencies will deploy numerous agents and equipment to Chicago starting next week to increase arrests of illegal immigrants.

This planned operation comes just weeks after the president deployed armed soldiers and military vehicles to patrol the streets of Washington, D.C., claiming, despite all available evidence, that the use of the National Guard was necessary to control crime.

The Trump administration is working on a plan to send the National Guard to Chicago, which Johnson and Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker have called an abuse of power.

Advertisement

On Friday, Pritzker said such an operation would amount to an “invasion.” He told CBS News that if Trump deploys the National Guard, “voters need to understand that he has other objectives than fighting crime.”

Pritzker said those goals could be “to prevent the 2026 election, or, frankly, to take control of that election.”

The White House and Johnson’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button